Berry Breakfast Blend
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries
- 6 ounces non-dairy milk* See notes
- 1-2 pitted dates*
- 2 tbsp chia seeds*
- 1 tbsp raw almond butter*
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon*
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a high powdered blender or food processor and blend completely. Should be thick! Divide the mixture into two mason jars (or other containers) and store in the fridge for the next morning to "grab-n-go". Obviously they can be eaten right away, too, and make a really tasty healthy dessert as well. Can be topped with additional chopped fruit, nuts, seeds, or whole grain cereal for extra crunch.
- I recommend finding a high protein, no added sugar non-dairy milk. Brands like Bolthouse and Ripple make a PEA MILK that is really high in protein and have unsweetened options available. I recommend the higher protein because it will help keep you full! You can use regular dairy as well!
- MEDJOOL DATES are high in fiber and essential nutrients like potassium, magnesium, B6, niacin, calcium, and phosphorus. In many of my recipes I recommend using either dates, honey, or maple syrup as the best natural sweeteners. One date contains about 15 grams of sugar. A little goes a long way!
- CHIA SEEDS contain healthy and essential fatty acids that promote satiation and provide fabulous nutrition! They also make this recipe work by holding the blend together due to the type of fiber in them. Don't omit them! However, you can use FLAX SEEDS instead, which are also high in essential fatty acids and nutrients with the same fiber binding technique!
- I really recommend using RAW ALMOND BUTTER as opposed to other nut butters. For one, the flavor and texture of almond butter make this berry blend unique! For another, roasted nut butters have a roasted taste (imagine that!) and usually have additional ingredients added that just make them taste funky. However, if you're obsessed with your peanut butter than you always tend to us, by all means give it a try! The type of nut butter will definitely have an impact on the taste of this blend. PS - Almonds are high in protein, calcium, vitamin E, B2, manganese, and magnesium.
- CINNAMON is a medical spice with many different health benefits. It contains a variety of antioxidants and other components that are anti-inflammatory and improve blood sugar control.